Tortuga banner

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Japanese Manga meets Roller Derby!

Ever since my mother visited Japan and brought me back a thick manga book a couple of years ago, the idea of trying my hand at some big eyed, long legged ladies has been rattling around in my head.  I recently cleaned my studio and sitting next to that manga book were some designs for roller skates that I have been wanting to make.  It hit me that a manga roller grrl could be just the thing.  So I give you my newest tile:

available online in my new collection of Sugoi Tiles (Sugoi means "wow" in Japanese)!
 
Incidentally, this might be a good time to mention that our local team the Gold Coast Derby Grrls has a bout this Saturday night, February 4th at 6 pm at the Skate Zone in Palm Beach! If you haven't been before, you are missing out on some exciting action.  You should definitely check it out! If you can't make it this weekend they have another bout in Fort Lauderdale on February 18th.

I also have discovered that there is Roller Derby in Japan.  Check out the Kokeshi Roller Dolls on Facebook  They are Asia's first WFTDA apprentice team!

No comments:

Post a Comment